Thursday, July 28, 2005

OMG DO YOU KNOW WHO DIES?!?

Ehem. No, this post will not contain any Harry Potter spoilers, but I just wanted to say I finished reading it. Although I didn't guess who the Half Blood Prince was, I was right about the other big plot point. Anyone who knows anything about Hero Stories could have guessed it, I suppose.

Nevertheless, my respect for J K Rowling has increased even more as she continues to prove that she knows what she's doing. It may not be world-changing literature (though, I suppose her books have such an effect on pop culture, that can be debated), but it is simple and pure fun. No other book(s) make me remember what it was like to be a child reading some fantastic adventure again. I'd really love someday to just pick her brain to see how much studying and research went into the whole thing.

3 Comments:

Blogger Seppo said...

Given that in this day and age, she practically spawned a Renaissance in *reading*, I think it's safe to say her literature is world-changing. "High Art?" Maybe not, but who gives a s**t.

:)

12:30 PM

 
Blogger hapacheese said...

True. And, I suppose that a lot of "classical literature" was considered pop fluff at the time it was published anyway.

It's sort of interesting to think that 30 years from now, Harry Potter could likely have LOTR status.

1:31 PM

 
Blogger kerowack said...

Not for nothing, and I didn't guess it either, the identity of the Half-Blood Prince was so obvious. I felt incredibly dumb once it was revealed.

And yeah, kudos to Rowling for getting an entire generation (more than one actually) to pick up a stinkin book.

6:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home