Sunday, January 15, 2006

Update

My grandfather's blood transfusion isn't lasting as long as we had hoped. The first time he had it done was at the beginning of December, and he was doing well until the beginning of January. He had another transfusion done around the 6th of January, and we were hoping it'd last for a month again, but since yesterday, he has been getting worse.

Well, "worse" makes it sound much more horrible than it is. He talks nonsense a lot of the time, but he always talks about how good he feels. Maybe he's lightheaded or something, but man, I can only be hope to be that euphoric when I'm that close to death. I think he can't tell the difference between his dreams and reality, and he's said that he's gone horseback riding, drank the best sake he's ever had, and something about dolphins and afros (not sure about that last one).

He's got a great appetite, though, despite missing 2/3 of his stomach (removed due to stomach cancer). He's constantly craving food and eating and talking about how great it tastes. It's saddening to see him slip away, but at the same time, it's a relief to see that he's peaceful.

1 Comments:

Blogger Seppo said...

When my grandfather died, he went peacefully. Last thing he ever said to me, was, "It'll be alright."

Took me about an hour after he said it for me to understand what it was that he'd said (my father confirmed that) - sadly, this was over the phone, as in the middle of finals in high school, I hadn't elected to go visit, and he ended up passing away earlier than we had originally anticipated. Weird, death doesn't abide by predictions and order. :\ One of those things that I'll regret - fortunately, you made the proper decision, in your case.

Still, point being, from the first hand accounts, my grandfather's passing was peaceful. He was relaxed, not in pain, and though not completely leading up to it, lucid and content, at the end.

1:35 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home