Saturday, February 10, 2007

Horrid Discovery

Just got back from going shopping with the lady, and during the course of our meandering, I came across what is possibly the most horrid thing I have ever seen: the man-thong. We were walking through the men's section at Macy's when we came across a thong. "Huh... This must be in the wrong section," she said to me. Then, I noticed an entire row of them. And another... yes, ladies and gentlemen, they have an entire section for man-thongs. When did this happen? Who are these for? Why do they exist?!? These questions are entirely rhetorical, as I'm not sure I really want to know.


On a completely different note, I'm usually not that picky about book-to-movie translations. I ignore a lot of the changes (both minor and major) that the movie undergoes, but there's been a recent trailer playing over and over on the TV lately that just annoys the hell out of me. Since when was "Bridge to Terrabithia" an epic fantasy adventure? And why are critics calling it a"heart-warming" movie? The writers/producers/etc for the movie have taken all the meaning and impact out of the book, and replaced it with some generic attempt at cashing in on the fantasy movie craze (or so it seems). I'm tempted to go see the movie just to see how much they butchered it, but then again, I don't want to give them any money.

Speaking of movies, though, just went to see Children of Men last night. Intense, intense movie. Alfonso Cuaron is quickly becoming one of my favorite directors. He has a great feeling for pacing, and the movie keeps you on edge both emotionally and with all the action. Though some may have differing opinions of the abrupt ending, I found it satisfying overall. I think it's doubly enjoyable if you're a gamer, as the similarities in the setting to Half-Life 2 will be immediately apparent.

4 Comments:

Blogger eingy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:48 PM

 
Blogger eingy said...

My parents' florist shop was right across the pedestrian alley from a men's shop which featured really flashy suits on the street-facing side and displays of novelty man-thongs shaped like giraffe heads and elephant trunks on our side. Some were shaped like little jewel sacks.

It was too funny for my 14-year-old self.

10:49 PM

 
Blogger hapacheese said...

I mean, I've seen g-strings for men that were obviously novelties or for guys who were exotic dancers or something, but these were different. They were like tighty-whities, but with a thong-back (sounds all too similar to "Ong Bak"...)

4:43 PM

 
Blogger eingy said...

Somehow, I, too, find that more horrifying.

Hey! It's that book you told me about.

3:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home