Monday, March 26, 2007

Shopping Spree

So, in order to get the most out of my brand new TV (which I'm loving), I've gone out and purchased a few things.

X360 VGA Adapter - Now, games were looking quite fine with the stock component cables (good move on MS' part to include those in the box), but I was still getting 480p resolution on DVDs. My DVD player is about 6 years old and isn't capable of any form of upscaling, so I got the VGA cables for my X360 in order to get the purdy DVD resolution upscaling. Maybe it's just my eyes tricking me into thinking I made a good purchase (only $40 anyway), but the difference was immediately noticeable. The only thing that was a bit weird was having to readjust all the lighting levels, but I've got it set just right now.

HD Antenna - Haven't had a chance to check this out yet, but that's my goal for this evening. eingy and Seppo came over on Sunday (though the ever-present cat hair soon defeated Seppo) and recommended we pick one up. Seeing as we don't have cable and we get all of 2 channels on our cheap-ass antenna right now, I figured it couldn't hurt.


Speaking of Seppo any eingy... we ended up going out for a round of mini-golf. Now, I'm not afraid to admit that I generally suck at the mini-golf. My fiance has always been the one to carry us to victory every time we've played, but this time was different. As I stepped out onto the (fake) green, the shell of doubt and shroud of past defeats were cast from my shoulders, like a worn and tattered garment. I valiantly clasped my club in my hands knowing, nay - certain - that the gods shined down upon me that day. My aim was steady, and my heart was true. I was victorious! (been watching too much LOTR lately)

Okay, so my fiance still scored better than me, but I beat Seppo and eingy.
Oh glorious day!

6 Comments:

Blogger eingy said...

Check http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx before you get an antenna to check what channels you *should* be able to get.

Also, try pointing the antenna at your neighbor's giant dish. I point mine at my neighbor's larger outdoor antenna and get great reception.

1:26 PM

 
Blogger hapacheese said...

Hooked up the antenna! My god... it's full of [digital TV channels]...

Why does KQED have so many damn digital channels, though? That's just insane.

Biggest problem, though... the two channels that I cared most about (ABC and NBC) are the two must unstable signals. I've had to affix a thing of tin foil onto one of the antenna. Doesn't look pretty, but it's helped with the signal.

1:50 PM

 
Blogger Seppo said...

You'll want to "sweep" through the sky to try to find NBC and ABC - those antennas are generally pretty directional, so the orientation of the thing is really, really important.

There are some channels we get that really require you to be pointing in just the right direction, or they don't show up at all.

2:14 PM

 
Blogger hapacheese said...

Yeah, I've done that. At the best angle, I get a signal, but it gets broken up on occasion, and sometimes just altogether goes out for 10-15 seconds. I'd use the analog signal for ABC, but the analog and digital signals require different antenna directions for ABC (which is odd), so that's even more of a pain in the ass.

2:57 PM

 
Blogger eingy said...

Isn't it just beautiful though? :D

4:41 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

make sure you check the antennaweb before choosing an hd antenna. They have all sort of info you may need like the distance to broadcasting towers in your area, the CEA color zone, etc.
There are also many reviews on hd antennas here. CM4228 and HDTVo models are pretty good...

2:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home