Friday, February 23, 2007

Nerdier than thou

So, my brother and I got into a virtual pissing contest to see who could dig up the most obscure/awesome clips from various Japanese anime/sentai shows that we used to watch as kids. The deeper I went down that rabbit hole, the more memories crept into my mind. Images of my childhood spent playing with mountains of Japanese robots and action figures, hours spent in front of the TV watching awesomely-cheesy shows, playing Nintendo years before it came out in America...

Although pretty much nobody who reads this blog will recognize *any* of these, I felt that I needed to post them for my own sake. Here they are in all their cheesy glory:

Sentai Smrogasborg:
Space Detective Gaban
Electric Warriors Denji-man
(Denji-man version 2)
Goggle 5

Goggle 5 and Denji-man were the predecessors to the Power Rangers. There was also Sanbarukan, Bio-man, Change-man, etc. All awesome stuff. Gaban was part of a different series that was more similar to VR Troopers. It was more about single transforming badass - Shariban, Gekkou Kamen, etc. There's plenty of Ultraman and Kamen Rider stuff I could post, but there'd be no end to it.

Robots!!!
Voltes 5
Gatcha-man (aka Battle of the Planets)
Dagram
Space Warrior Baldeos

Voltes 5 (also spelled Voltes V) was one of my favorites as a kid. It didn't really have an ending, since I think the series stopped at episode 40 with a cliffhanger ending... I think the series was cancelled, so they decided to end it on that note. But still, I had the series all on VHS, and watched it over and over. Was most impressed back in high school when I found out that the girl I had a crush on (2 years older, captain of the dance team...) could sing the theme song in Japanese. Melted my geeky little heart :)

And here's a random video that has nothing to do with anything else on this post, and serves only to annoy you.

Montgomery! Flea Market!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I actually grew up watching some Voltes 5 and Space Warrior Baldeos too. It was all poorly dubbed into English, of course. One of the few benefits of growing up in Alaska: the large Japanese population meant better cartoons. :)

11:08 AM

 
Blogger hapacheese said...

After finding that clip, I went online to see if they had DVDs of Voltes 5 available... and they did! A limited release just came out last November and is still available.

...
...
...
...for $400 :(

11:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home