Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Unspecific Randomness

I'm heading back to Japan (surprise!) next week, but this time I'll be staying for an extra week to chill with la familia. My mom and step dad are going to be there, and it looks like the step dad and I will be having a run of the town one night while my mom, aunt, and grandma go pamper themselves at a hot spring.

He expressed interest in hitting up some of the locales in Lost in Translation (he loved the movie), and through some searching (i.e. I googled it), I found the karaoke place and the club that they went to (the club with all the white globes with movies being projected onto them, not the strip club). Turns out that the karaoke place is just a generic karaoke box that's part of a chain of stores, but this one just happens to have a nice view of the city. I thought it was some upscale place, but shows what I know.

Sounds like my baby cousin just started her first year of school! Which means I won't have as much time to play with her, but hopefully she can still come out on the weekends and whatnot. I missed her birthday, so I will be bringing gifts this time around.

On a completely random note, this is very likely the most epic movie theme evar!!1!

Conan the Barbarian!!!!1!

While the movie certainly feels old nowadays, I still think it's one of the best (if not *the* best) fantasy movies of the time. Ahnuld's acting was lacking, as can be expected, but thankfully he was only given a handful of lines to say... which is what makes the director's cut of the movie a little more painful to watch. But still, that opening theme, plus a few others ("Theocracy" is one of my favorites... it's the one that plays when Conan and Subatai are running across the plains) really get me pumped up. Too bad the composer passed away, because I'd have loved to see him score a few video games.

Alas.

So, NiGHTS 2 and Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games have been announced. Interesting times. Mario and Sonic in a game together? Weird. Very, very weird. Personally, I'd have loved to see a Sega vs Nintendo all-out brawl instead of a sports game, but this will have to do. Still, some fairly big announcements from Sega. We'll see if the legendary status of NiGHTS has the ability to carry the sequel to success, despite having only had a very limited release the first time around.

Also, the fact that Rock Band can utilize the X360 guitar controllers for GH2 is cool, but unfortunately I have 2 PS2 guitar controllers. What's a gamer to do? I suppose I can just have friends get the other instruments, and I'll pick up the mic :D

2 Comments:

Blogger Seppo said...

I've never really understood NiGHTS. While it's charming in a very ... uh... innocuous? sort of way, there really wasn't anything *to* it. That is, it was sort of a 2.5D platformer sans platforms that was set on a giant cylinder. Maybe I missed something? It'll be interesting to see how the team approaches it. On one hand, if it's not a literal sequel, fans of the original will be pissed. If it IS a literal sequel, then people whose expectations are through the roof and don't know what to expect will be severely disappointed.

Since there's not really that many fans of the original, I'd take the core emotions that the game elicits - a sort of peaceful catatonic euphoria (in its best moments), and expound upon those in a more modern way.

It'll be interesting to see what they do.

Mario vs. Sonic is sort of silly, just because the characters are supposed to be wildly mismatched. Mario should *never* win a 100m dash v. Sonic. I'll be interested in seeing how they get around it, but I'm going to be *incredibly* disappointed if they just make Mario fast, or Sonic slow. :P

10:41 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Boo for Rock Band not being released for PS2. I wasn't sure what my next-gen console plans were, but having two GH guitars and the games for PS2 makes buying the 360 version seem not very much fun.

PS. I want to kidnap Bacon and Butter.

11:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home