Monday, April 02, 2007

Wii have liftoff!

Seppo's Wii has finally arrived! A big thanks to the boys and girls at Nintendo for hooking it up ;)

On a side note, I spent some time playing with another friend's Wii. Played a bit of Medal of Honor, then Wario Ware. Medal of Honor was... odd. Decently made, but the graphical difference between MoH Wii and, say, GRAW2 was painfully obvious. In fact, the fiance refuses to watch me play GRAW2 because it's too realistic, but MoH Wii was fake enough that it was enjoyable. However, as far as the gameplay goes, I can definitely see the pros and cons of the Wiimote. It was interesting to play Wario Ware (which was hilariously fun, by the by) because you actually get a kick out of doing the weird things with the controller. But with MoH, it grew increasingly frustrating. Every time my nose itched and I went to scratch it, my camera would go flying off screen. I would try to reload by flicking the nunchuck to the right, but it would spin me around 180 degrees (which is done by flicking to the left). Every once in a while, the camera would start to jump all over the place, likely the result of a bad signal from the controller, but it would always take a few seconds to recalibrate and figure out what happened.

All in all, I think the Wii has a lot of promise, once developers figure out a "visual language" to communicate feedback to the player, but as it stands, it's not that good as a straight replacement for a regular controller. Games like Wario Ware certainly take advantage of making the player do things that weren't possible before, but it has yet to be seen how far they can take that.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I stopped reading after "I spent some time playing with another friend's Wii"

I don't want to know any more.

6:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home