Tuesday, July 03, 2007

An Unexpected Twist

So, the fiance and I went to see Ratatouille last night for her birthday... And I will post my review of the movie a little later. But on the way home, while we were reliving moments from the movie and discussing our opinions on the details, we pulled up slowly to an intersection to make a left turn when a plump woman slowly ran across the road (we weren't at the intersection yet, and she wasn't at a crosswalk). Since we had a red left arrow, we were already going slow, so I just slowed down a little more to make sure she was out of the way, but a car coming the other direction (he had a green light) obviously wasn't paying attention. Neither was she.

It all happened in slow motion... most likely because the guy was only going about 25-30mph, and she was running at a slow jog. Every nanosecond that passed, I expected one or the other to stop. I kept thinking to myself, "Do I honk? No, one of them has to notice the other... They're not *that* oblivious*. But what happens if I *don't* honk? But what if I honk and the lady looks at me, *then* gets hit by the other..." And then I had my answer. She was up on the hood, then on the street, moaning in pain.

I jumped out of my car and was about to dial 911 when luckily a cop drove by. I flagged him down and he immediately called for an ambulance. There wasn't any blood and she was certainly conscious (and the guy was driving slowly enough), so I don't think there was any immediate threat to her life, though I don't doubt she was in incredible pain. But still! How could neither one have seen the other? The guy should have been paying attention and had ample time to stop. The lady shouldn't have been crossing the road against a red light (and outside the crosswalk) in the middle of the night *and* she should have seen the car coming. I mean he had his headlights on, the engine was loud, etc.

Luckily, I didn't get dragged in to be a witness or anything, so I just got back in my car and drove off. She's lucky she's alive, but I can't help but think that both people involved are just idiots.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow

I see stuff like that all the time up till the point of impact, but something always intervenes. Like, the walker figures out what's about to happen or the car veers.

And it's like you described. There's a few moments of, "do I say something? They must know what's happening. What if I freak them out and they move into the way of the car ..."

It's not so much a matter of reflexes to "save" somebody. It's more of an expectation that "this can't be happening right in front of me."

I suppose this is probably common, but I've never seen somebody mention the phenomenon elsewhere.

A_B

1:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home