Friday, August 24, 2007

Beer!


Since foomfoom is feenin' for some beer, I'll go ahead and kick this thing off with 2 reviews of beers I've recently tried.

First up:

Franziskaner - Made in Germany, it's an import beer that you can find at some major supermarkets (I've found it at Safeway on occasion, as well as Whole Foods), though they only seem to carry the hefeweisse. Being an unfiltered wheat bear, it's a very heavy beer, but given the full flavor and sweetness of these types of beers, it's one of my favorites. This beer in particular has a thick, sweet taste (almost honey-like) with just a hint of bitterness at the end. Given that it's an import, it probably has its fair share of preservatives in it (which might account for the bitter aftertaste... or I might just be on crack) - but I hear that there are some local bars that have this on tap!

Until now, I'd primarily been drinking the Widmer and/or Pyramid hefeweizens (both solid beers), but I've found that the Franziskaner has a much deeper flavor. This one gets two thumbs up!


Next up:

Grolsch - I picked up this beer (Dutch import) just based on the cool bottle design. It has a pop top that can be opened without a bottle opener, and can be resealed. Pretty nifty. That being said, it's a pilsner beer (a pale lager) that has quite a bit more body than most pale lagers found in the US. Even my not-much-of-a-beer-fan fiance took a taste and could taste the different layers to the flavor (the initial bitterness, followed by a light wheaty flavor, which ends with a really sweet finish). It was a pleasant surprise and while it doesn't have the same impact as a good hefeweizen, it was much lighter and more suited to drinking alongside a meal (whereas a hefeweizen can be a meal in itself o_O).

One and a half thumbs up! Not quite as rich as, say, a Yebisu lager IMO, but one of the better lagers I've tried in the US.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pyramid hefeweizen is one of my favorites. I gotta try that Franziskaner. I've seen the Grolsch here in Hong Kong I think. I remember wanting to buy it just for the bottle. Good to hear it comes with a decent beer inside.

6:59 PM

 
Blogger Seppo said...

Maybe you should be blogging about cheese?

11:10 PM

 
Blogger eingy said...

I second that notion.

12:55 PM

 
Blogger hapacheese said...

That thar's a fine notion! I'll include that in the mix as well :)

1:49 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Grolsch and Stella I go through phases with: I'll drink them pretty often for a while, then not at all for another while.

Have you tried Dos Equis lager? That's probably my favorite easy drinking lager around.

10:32 AM

 
Blogger hapacheese said...

Haven't tried Dos yet. It's one of those beers that you see everywhere, so you figure, "I'll drink it at some point," but never actually get around to it. I was like that with Fat Tire for a while...

I'll give it a shot soon :)

10:23 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home