Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Cheap Wine!

We stopped by Trader Joe's for the first time in a long time on our way home from the gym, and I figured I should take a chance with one of their cheap wines. It's easy to find a good, expensive wine, but to find a wine under $10 that is decent? Not so easy.

Ended up picking up a bottle of Bear's Lair Cabernet Sauvignon. It was only $4! I was a bit hesitant, but figured for $4, it was worth a shot. Took it home, opened it up, and let it breathe just for a bit. I poured myself a little taste and I have to admit I was surprised! Not a whole lot of depth to the flavor and a little dry (lots of tannins) for some people, but for an everyday sort of wine, you could do much, much worse. It doesn't have nearly as much body as, say, a Stag's Leap cab (at $40 a bottle, it better be good), but it's hard to justify drinking a $40 bottle of wine with any sort of regularity. At 1/10 the price, I'd say the Bear's Lair was a bargain. Thumbs up :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Good to know! I'll add another to the "under $10 a bottle" pile: Smoking Loon. I like every varietal of theirs I've tried, and they are all around $6 a bottle.

3:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home